9 Oct 2012

DAI SHARKEY - NO MORE - from the album 'Schizophrenic'





© Dai Sharkey 2012


NO MORE - Dai Sharkey – all vocals, all guitars

I seen a man just the other day lookin’ in my eyes
I stopped and asked what he had to say. It wasn’t a surprise
Woe is me; great is the man who carries the heaviest load
Woe is me, lost in the dark, lost, don’t know where to go
Well I’ve heard this so many times, tell me what were humanities crimes?
Giving us all consciousness, a blessing we could do with less
I said to this man I’m a one man band, I don’t subscribe to the worlds philosophy, 
But the darkness in his eyes, sucking the light out of me.

We can all say we won’t do that no more; we won’t do that no more

I said to this gentle man that my plan is do what I can
Without being tainted by the smell of this land
The strongest animals are the ones that survive
To finish the race you must first stay alive
I can’t hear you screaming with that tape on your lips
Hide from the feelings in a bottle or script
I can’t hear you screaming at the bottom of the sea
Repeating the words so that they stay with me, we say

We won’t do that no more…. we won’t do that no more
We won’t do that no more, no, no, no

I’ve seen the mind of a mad man, tasted death in a bad man
Killed off innocence with shame, been to hell and back again
Rode the night on a white horse, didn’t care what you people thought
Did it selfishly I know though the scars don’t show

We won’t do that no more…. We won’t do that no more
We won’t do that no more, no, no; we won’t do that no more
Well if you say it it could come true for you


I wrote this song after a conversation with a friend who seemed to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. The lyrics also tell of my own outlook towards the world and how I try and cope with all the burdens that surviving this journey puts upon me. As I have changed and conquered many problems and addictions I have learnt that change comes from firstly starting by identifying the problem and rebelling against it by saying to ones-self “we won’t do that no more”. Only then can the change start to happen.
I also make reference to my personal journey in the lyrics with a confessional type ending where I admit that while living a selfish existence I “didn’t care what you people thought”, I hope I can and have made up for that by being more considerate in my actions now. The song starts by gently telling the story and gradually builds into a head bobbing, toe-tapping groove with many sounds and percussive noises creating a soundscape along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment